Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reading List from the NWFGS

Ravenna Gardens Display Garden

I treated myself to a day off on Friday to take a spin around the Northwest Flower and Garden show. Among the amazing show gardens, plants, roots, shoots, seeds, greenhouses, coldframes, tools, trinkets, baubles, snacks and As Seen on TV fun there was a large amount of information available from garden groups and nurseries. I was so impressed by the volunteers and professionals that devoted their time and expertise to the show.

Here are a few of the gems that got me excited - a virtual "show homework list" for myself.

Local
Cascade Harvest Coalition is a nonprofit organization dedicated to connecting local farmers and consumers. Coming out with a cookbook soon.

Edible Seattle I had a lovely chat with editor Jill Lightner about growing your own and local food. Loved the articles in the free issue!

Fruit Trees
Western Washington Fruit Organization is a volunteer organization that shared lots of great information. They are holding a field day in March in Mount Vernon.

Seattle Tree Fruit Society shared a sample apple maggot barriers. They have a monthly meetings and informative website.

Plant Amnesty had informative guides for sale that had a quirky writing style. They are holding an event at Sky Nursery in Shoreline on February 20th.

Nurseries

Raintree Nursery had their experts on hand and they were ever so helpful. I got a hot tip on a good fig for our area, the Desert King. Not to mention the coupon...

Specialty Nurseries Association of Western Washington publishes an amazing list of local nurseries! There are more nearby than I ever would have guessed.

I hope you find some of it useful as well!

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I missed the Raintree booth/coupon! Wah! Well, it's impossible to see everything. You hit some great booths. My folks used to always volunteer at the Fruit Tree Society, they have used the apple maggot "footies" for years and although it's labor-intensive, usually seems to do the trick. Great reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blown-glass curls remind me of fanciful fiddleheads! So very Pac NW.

    ReplyDelete